timing n : the time when something happens
- Rhymes with: -aɪmɪŋ
- An occurrence or event.
- The regulation of the pace of an athletic race, the speed of an engine, the delivery of a joke, or the occurrence of a series of events.
- The time when something happens.
- The synchronization of the firing of the spark plugs in an internal combustion engine.
- An instance of recording the time of something.
- active timing
- attack timing
- basic ignition timing
- basic timing
- color timing
- comic timing
- computer-controlled timing
- continuous variable valve timing
- dynamic ignition timing
- ignition timing
- market timing
- sequential valve timing
- signal timing
- stress timing
- syllable timing
- targa timing
- target timing
- valve timing
- variable cam timing
- variable valve timing
the regulation of the pace
- Czech: načasování
- present participle of time
Timing is the spacing of events in time. Some typical uses are:
- The act of measuring the elapsed time of something or someone, often at athletic events such as swimming or running, where participants are timed with a device such as a stopwatch.
- Engine timing, for various functions such as ignition, cam timing to control poppet valve timing and overlap, and fuel injection timing.
- Comic timing by a comedian or actor, an element of humor.
- In phonology, the rhythm of a spoken language. See Timing (linguistics) and Timing (music).
- In filmmaking, colour timing is the process of altering the density and colour of the film.
- Stock market timing as an investment strategy.
timing in German: Timing
timing in French: Timing
timing in Dutch: Timing
timing in Polish: Timing
ability, accommodation, accord, accordance, adaptation, address, adeptness, adjustment, adroitness, affinity, agreement, airmanship, andante tempo, artfulness, artisanship, artistry, assent, assimilation, attunement, beat, bravura, brilliance, calendar-making, capability, capacity, chorus, chronology, chronoscopy, cleverness, clock-making, clocking, coaptation, coherence, coincidence, command, compatibility, competence, compound time, concert, concord, concordance, conformance, conformation, conformity, congeniality, congruence, congruency, congruity, consistency, consonance, consort, control, cooperation, coordination, correspondence, craft, craftsmanship, cunning, dating, deftness, dendrochronology, dexterity, dexterousness, dextrousness, diplomacy, duple time, efficiency, equivalence, expertise, facility, finesse, grace, grip, handiness, harmonization, harmony, horology, horometry, horsemanship, ingeniousness, ingenuity, integration, intersection, know-how, largo, march tempo, marksmanship, mastership, mastery, mixed times, oneness, overlap, parallelism, peace, practical ability, presto, proficiency, prowess, quickness, rag, ragtime, rapport, readiness, reconcilement, reconciliation, regulation, resource, resourcefulness, rubato, savoir-faire, savvy, seamanship, self-consistency, sextuple time, simple time, skill, skillfulness, squaring, style, symmetry, sync, synchronism, synchronization, syncopation, syncope, tact, tactfulness, tally, technical brilliance, technical mastery, technical skill, technique, tempo, tempo rubato, three-quarter time, time, time pattern, timekeeping, triple time, triplet, two-four time, uniformity, union, unison, unisonance, virtuosity, waltz time, wit, wizardry, workmanship